To help children become better readers, Read by 4th launched Reading Captains, an ambitious effort to place a literacy resource leader on each and every neighborhood block. As a Reading Captain, you will attend an orientation to gain knowledge of the reading resources available throughout the city, then share these resources with your friends and neighbors. This can be done at community centers, block parties, elementary or preschool events, or even at a grocery store. The possibilities are endless!
What’s a Reading Captain?
- A person over the age of 18, who is committed to sharing literacy resources with the members of his/her community
- Someone who is already connected to families in their neighborhood
- Able to work collaboratively with Read by 4th staff and community partners
- Committed to transforming Philadelphia’s littlest learners into big readers
As a Reading Captain, you will:
- Attend an orientation to learn about the literacy resources available to families throughout the city
- Share what you learned with parents and caregivers in your neighborhood, workplace, grocery store, or even your barber shop
- Meet with Reading Captains in your area to brainstorm ways to better connect families with resources, problem solve and make new friends
Register below to attend a Reading Captain orientation!
Love Reading Captains? Then share the love! Tell your friends and family to sign up by sharing this page or send them our flyer.